Contemporary history experiences of Kallie de Beer: Stories of my grandpa and- mother about the Anglo Boer War. The family link to the diamond related and seventh adventist church de Beers. Farms in the Free State's little towns and trips abroad. Research in contemporary history of South African diplomacy and the change of the former South African Army into a peacekeeping force in Africa and additional academic research in casu open distance e-learning.

Wednesday, February 06, 2008

GRAVE OF "DIAMOND" DE BEER

I have heard the story from my grandfather, Karel Johannes De Beer, when I was a litlle boy that we are relatives of the De Beer on who's farm diamonds were discovered and on which the city of Kimberley was built. Although he was raised in the little Free State town of Petrusburg, next to the railway line to Kimberley, my grandfather may have visited his family as a child. He was also baptized in Kimberley. Since then, I always had this intererst about the wellknown "Diamond De Beer" family name. However, untill very recently and after a lot of research on the De Beer family, I could never found the grave of Johannes Nicolaas De Beer on who's farm, Vooruitzicht, diamonds were discovered. Even the the Rhodes museum in Kimberley could not direct me to the grave of this very famous man. Yes, famous and wellknown all over the world since his name perpetuated along with the international DeBeers Diamond Company. ( Cf Google search:"Only the name perpetuated").
Eventually a certain Gerrit Wessels of Boshof, a small town in the Free State on route from Kimberley to Bloemfontein where I live, took notice of my interest and enquiries about Johannes Nicolaas De Beer's grave, and who may be buried in the Boshof district. Fortunately his mother was related to that part of the De Beer family and subsequently put me into cell phone contact with the original De Beers who still farm near the farm, Smitskraal, where the famous De Beer is buried. I was invited by one of his great grandsons, Dirk De Beer, to show me the grave.
Dirk took a photograph of me next to the tombstone which the DeBeers Diamond Company placed on his and his wife's grave. My search has ended. The photo's in my next Blog tell its own story...

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger Perry said...

I am the grandson of Petronella Sophia de Beer , who in turn was dau. of Johannes Nicolaas de Beer & the granddaughter of " Diamond " de Beer . She married Parry Davies in 1915 & their first born son was unlucky to be named Patrick Johannes Nicolaas de Beer Davies , it didn't help him as he inherited none of the de Beer fortune .

Mon Mar 03, 03:33:00 AM PST

 
Blogger Wendy SA said...

My name is Wendy de Beer, I cannot find any alternative contact details for you. If I would really appreciate some more info on my family that lived in Boshof before the Boer War. My email address is wmverweij@gmail.com
Thank you
Wendy

Fri Nov 19, 05:50:00 AM PST

 
Blogger Avonne said...

I am Avonne Pickering, granddaughter of Edith van Staden, nee Biermann, whose mother was Cornelia de Beer. Cornelia was the daughter of Nicolaas Johannes de Beer, of diamond fame. She married a Hefer and was widowed, and then married Hugo Hendrik Biermann. I have the remains of a photo taken in the Kimberly Concentration Camp with Cornelia, Hugo and their baby daughter , Evelyn. the rest of the picture sadly has deteriorated but the photo and story about it were published in The Saturday Star Joahnnesburg in about 1988 or so, being submitted by Major Herzog Biermann from Pretoria, one of the grandsons of Hugo Hendrik. Do you have any information about Cornelia ? thanks, Avonne

Thu Mar 10, 07:49:00 AM PST

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am Johannes Nicolaas de Beer, am the 5th generation of the Johannes Nicolaas de Beer's. I do have a photo of the eldest son of the late (Diamand) J.N. DE BEER with his eight sons. My Grandfather is his eldest son.
facebook me herbalhealthsa@yahoo.com or cell 0828767303

Mon May 30, 01:12:00 AM PDT

 
Blogger Marthie said...

Hi Avonne, I would love to see that picture of your grandmother Cornelia de Beer. Would yoy mind to mail me a copy to mmgmostert@gmail.com. I am busy doing a familytree for my children. My mother was Martha de Beer befor she got married to a Mostert. I will look through our records to see if I can trace any thing for you.
Regards,
martha

Mon May 30, 08:48:00 AM PDT

 
Blogger Marthie said...

Dear Avonne,
My grandmother's name was matha Mostert and I will go through our records to see where they came from. Please forward me a copy of grandma Cornelia's photo so that I can compare it with what I have. regards, Martha

Mon May 30, 08:51:00 AM PDT

 
Blogger Perry said...

This is a request to J.N.de Beer who is referred to as " BEEP " .
Please can you scan & email the photo you have of J.N.de Beer & his 8 sons .
My email is -
perrytdavies@aol.com .

Thank you .

Wed Jun 22, 05:48:00 AM PDT

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am Johannes Nicolaas de Beer, am the 5th generation of the Johannes Nicolaas de Beer's. I do have a photo of the eldest son of the late (Diamand) J.N. DE BEER with his eight sons. My Grandfather is his eldest son.
facebook me herbalhealthsa@yahoo.com or cell 0828767303.
I also have a cd "DIE DE BEER - FAMILIE" "DRIE EEUE IN SUID AFRIKA"


you can email me herbalhealthsa@yahoo.com or beepdata@gmail.com or bbm me 22354D84.
If you have any photos from your dad, grandfather and great grand father, please make it available on facebook.
link to me on facebook using my email address herbalhealthsa@yahoo.com
regards
nico de Beer



2yahoo.com

Tue Nov 08, 04:36:00 AM PST

 

Post a Comment

<< Home