Contemporary history experiences of Kallie de Beer: Stories of my grandpa and- mother about the Anglo Boer War. The family link to the diamond related and seventh adventist church de Beers. Farms in the Free State's little towns and trips abroad. Research in contemporary history of South African diplomacy and the change of the former South African Army into a peacekeeping force in Africa and additional academic research in casu open distance e-learning.

Wednesday, September 03, 2008

A SHORT WHILE TO REST IN SCOTLAND



During my research visit to Ireland, a research colleague at the Queens University of Belfast, Lynn Kirken, suggested that I stay a few days over in Port Patrick on my way to London via ferry and coach. What struck me were the simular sounding words, names and other nomenclature that are to be found on the West coast of England are likewise to that on the West coast of Ireland, e.g. Gall Way Bay and Galloway Bay etc. Celtic diversity in the Irish as well as the Scottish history. Gaelic Welsh pronounciation and enunciation to the untrained ear of this Boertjie confused me totally. I thought I could understand English with my Free State English lessons, however, was at a lost with my Afrikaans accent too! After all, I enjoyed my little time of rest in Port Patrick as well as the museum in Stranraer where the famous John Ross maritime personality's exhibition is certainly a highlight. The harbour where I arrived by the fastest ferry in the world is about to be converted into a waterfront business complex. A very busy port indeed with all the down loading of hundreds of big trucks and thousands of tourists traveling by car from Europe and Ireland.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home