Contemporary history experiences of Kallie de Beer: Stories of my grandpa and- mother about the Anglo Boer War. The family link to the diamond related and seventh adventist church de Beers. Farms in the Free State's little towns and trips abroad. Research in contemporary history of South African diplomacy and the change of the former South African Army into a peacekeeping force in Africa and additional academic research in casu open distance e-learning.

Sunday, October 08, 2006

MUSEUM FOR SCIENCE AND INDUSTRY

As mentioned in my previous post, I visited the museum for science and industry in Birmingham, England during an international conference on distance education and Open learning that I have attended in 1995. It is in this museum where I was facinated by a huge real steam locomotive. On the half hour, it is announced and warned that the locomotive is going to move a few feet backwards or forwards. I shared the exitement of the children who were visiting the museum. Steam engines were designed to perfection in England. From steam engines to steam driven boats and ships, steam always attracts attention because it impresses with absolute power and strength. White steam, black smoke and then of course the whistle. The Birmingham museum locomotive also blows a whistle to amuse the visitors. The rest of the museum orientates one about the industrial revolution and the many industrial patents that were created. It also allow children to play games with science patents. Sound reflection dishes, optical illusions and measuring weight or blood pressure apparatus are part of the exhibition. It is not a passive "dead" museum, but a live and interactive experience to visit. As an educator in Higher Learning, I evaluated the museum as a typical Open Learning inititaive. In South Africa, we also use musea to introduce civic education to primary school learners. However, to my estimation, we do not make enough use of our musea as part of Open Learning curricula. To read more on my ideas on Open Learning, I refer readers to my published curriculum vitae.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home